Lawyer at the Lyon Bar - Toque 1626
Drapeau français | English flag
Facebook Twitter

After your divorce our lawyers practice in Lyons will accompany you

after a divorce

How is parental authority organized?

The father and mother share parental authority.

However, when filiation is established toward one of the parents, more than one year after the birth of the child whose affiliation is already established toward the other parent, the latter exercises alone parental authority.

Parental authority may, however, be exercised jointly in the event of a joint declaration by the father and mother before the Chief Registrar of the High Court or by a decision of the Family Judge. (Article 372 of the Civil Code)

Caution: The separation of parents has in principle no effect on the exercise of parental authority.

It is only in very special cases that the Family Judge may decide that parental authority will be exercised by one of the parents only.

How to define the residence of the child and the right of access and accommodation?

The Family Judge can either:

  • Fix the child's residence alternately with the mother and the father,
  • Or fix the residence of the child at the home of one of the parents and fix a right of access and accommodation for the other parent whose residence is not fixed,
  • Or decide that the right of access and accommodation for the other parent whose residence is not fixed will be exercised in a neutral place (specialized association), often pending the outcome of a social inquiry.

Why pay child support and how to calculate the amount?

Each parent contributes to the maintenance and upbringing of the children in proportion to his/her resources, those of the other parent, and the needs of the child. This obligation does not cease automatically when the child is of age (= over18). (Article 371-2 of the Civil Code)

A purely indicative table edited by the Ministry of Justice will allow you to obtain a rough estimate of your alimony.