Lawyer at the Lyon Bar - Toque 1626
Drapeau français | English flag
Facebook Twitter

Parental Alienation Syndrome must be treated by an expert lawyer

parental alienation

What is Parental Alienation Syndrome and how to get help?

Maître STRULOVICI, a lawyer in Lyons, is particularly sensitive to the issue of the Parental Alienation Syndrome which she regularly puts before the Family Judges to avoid breaking the link between the child and the alienated parent.

This syndrome was defined and described in 1986 by Richard Gardner, a North American child psychiatrist. Its definition is as follows: « the alienating parent pushes the denigration of the alienated parent to the very negation of his existence as a parent ».

Among the criteria to remember:

  • Contacts blocked between the alienated parent and the child,
  • Unfounded allegations of violence against the alienated parent,
  • Deteriorating relationship between the alienated parent and the child,
  • The child has a reaction of intense fear,
  • Denigration of the alienated parent by the child,
  • The child is self-confident and shows no ambivalence: love for the alienating parent and hatred for the alienated parent
  • The child supports and feels the need to protect the alienating parent
  • The child does not express guilt towards the alienated parent,
  • The animosity of the child includes the friends and / or the extended family of the alienated parent.

What is parental exclusion?

Parental exclusion consists of excluding one or more members of the family (father, mother, father’s side family, mother’s side family) from the life of a child.

What is a narcissistic pervert?

Narcissistic perversion is a form of perversion originally described by Paul-Claude Racamier.
It is not a psychiatric criterion even though the name may suggest a narcissistic personality disorder.
Many books deal with the issue and help to understand the mechanisms of narcissistic perversion.

The principles of the Civil Code

Article 371-1 of the Civil Code states:
« Parental authority is a set of rights and duties whose purpose is the best interests of the child.
The parents exercise parental authority until the majority or the emancipation of the child to ensure his/her security, his/her health and his/her morality, to ensure his/her education and to allow his/her development, in the respect due to his/her person.
Parents associate the child with the decisions that concern him/her, according to his/her age and his/her degree of maturity. »

Article 371-4 of the Civil Code states:
« The child has the right to maintain personal relationship with his/her ascendants. Only the interests of the child can hinder the exercise of this right.
If it is in the interest of the child, the family judge determines the terms of the relationship between the child and a third party, whether a parent or not, especially when the third party has resided permanently with him/her and one of his/her parents, provided for his/her upbringing, maintenance, or settlement, and forged lasting emotional bonds with him/her. »

Article 371-5 of the Civil Code states:
« A child must not be separated from his/her brothers and sisters, unless this is not possible or if his/her interest requires another solution. If necessary, the judge rules the personal relations between the brothers and sisters. »

Article 372 paragraph 1 of the Civil Code states:
« The father and mother exercise joint parental authority. »

The first rules to follow if you facing any of these situations

1) Get legal help
Consult an experienced lawyer in this area:
The procedures are often long. The choice of your lawyer is important because you will be brought to meet and to exchange for several months.
A relationship of trust must be established between the lawyer and his / her client.

2) Get psychological help
If you feel that the conflict is beginning to impact your day-to-day life, or your work, or your ability to socialize, do not hesitate to talk to a therapist.

3) Always keep the evidence of the events you are going through:
Mails, SMS, registered letters, medical certificates, photos, simple complaints (main courante), formal complaints…

Maître STRULOVICI is very aware of these procedures in high conflictual situations.

Useful link on parental alienation

PTo get information, you may consult the website of ACALPA which is the French association against parental alienation.